In reaction to the stricter measures announced by the Dutch government on the 23rd of March to prevent the spreading of the coronavirus, the Dutch bishops decided to implement additional measures. All public liturgical celebrations, also the ones in small communities during the week, are cancelled for the period of Easter and until the Pentecosts, on the 31st of May.
The Dutch government has forbidden all gatherings until the 1st of June, also the ones with less than 100 people.
Before were already the public celebrations on Saturdays and Sundays cancelled, now are therefore the public celebrations throughout the week also cancelled.
Closed celebrations are only still possible with the strictly required servants for the celebration of the mass and without the participation of other faithful. The churches can still remain open for individual visitors, whom come for a prayer or for lighting a candle and/or to bring a contribution to the food bank (voedselbank). They have to comply with all the measures announced by the government concerning distance, hygiene and health.
The government will issue later exceptions regarding funerals and church weddings. Whenever more information about these are available, we will then make is known as soon as possible.
Concerning the closed celebrations in the Easter period, the bishops refer to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the sacraments, of 19th of March 2020, relating the coronavirus, entitled “In time of Covid-19”. The text of the decree can be found in English in the congregation website (http://www.cultodivino.va/content/cultodivino/it/documenti/decreti-generali/decreti-generali/2020/decreto-triduo-pasquale-2020.html)
The bishops emphasize the importance of praying in these times when the coronavirus is among us.
You can follow the Eucharist through the media, as suggested before:
- Our community will arrange so that celebrations are streamed in our Facebook page – fb.com/englishmassutrecht – as often as possible, including the Sunday mass, stay tuned;
- We also recommend the English mass broadcast by the Dublin diocese on their website: https://www.dublindiocese.ie/watch-listen-live/
- The live stream from the Vatican in English: https://youtu.be/VJHI8bI0LWg
- On Dutch television (in Dutch) through the KRO-NCRV, every Sunday 10.00 on the Dutch television channel NPO 2;
- Radio Maria broadcasts the Eucharist every morning at 09:00 and evening at 19:00 (also in Dutch).
- from the diocese (in Dutch):
- from the Dutch government: https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2020/03/23/stricter-measures-to-control-coronavirus
You must be logged in to post a comment.